Summary of Position
Immigrants are an essential part of our economy and our communities in California and across the nation. Our current immigration system is broken and needs to be reformed in a way that reflects both our interests and our values as Americans. I am strongly committed to ensuring that the United States fulfills its role as a global power and lives by the words enshrined on the Statue of Liberty.
By the Numbers
- Immigrants added an estimated $2 trillion to the U.S. GDP in 2016, and between $4.6 and $8 billion in California.
- In 2017, 43% of Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants and their children.
- 20 million adult U.S.-born children of immigrants have higher incomes than their parents.
- Immigration led to a 4% real wage increase for the average native worker between 1990 and 2004.
Things to Know
- Cosponsor of the Dream Act (H.R. 3440) and finding a permanent solution for Dreamers
- Fighting to restore the humane treatment of those affected by the Trump Administration's zero tolerance policy.
- Called for investigation into claims of abuse against immigration detainees at the West County Detention Facility in Richmond and across the country
Working for You
Relief for Dreamers
Dreamers and their families voluntarily registered themselves with the promise that if they followed the rules laid out, they would be safe. President Trump unilaterally changed the terms of that agreement last September and put hundreds of thousands of Dreamers at risk of deportation. To help restore their faith in the United States, I am proud to sponsor several bills that support Dreamers, including the Dream Act (H.R. 3440), the BRIDGE Act (H.R. 496), and the American Hope Act (H.R. 3591), which would each provide a permanent solution for Dreamers and their families.
Supporting Evidence-Based Immigration Reform
A lack of leadership from the Republican Majority has left 800,000 DACA recipients in limbo and has left us with no solutions to the factors that exacerbate the problem of illegal immigration. I support the Uniting and Securing America (USA) Act (H.R. 4796), a bipartisan effort to end our immigration gridlock, which would provide comprehensive and evidence-based reforms, a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers, bolster border security, and reduce significant delays in immigration courts.
Defending Immigrant Communities
Immigrants who are in the U.S. should be treated humanely and with dignity. After reports of mistreatment of ICE detainees at the West County Detention Facility in Richmond, I visited the site and followed up with letters to the California Attorney General, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and the U.S. Department of Justice calling on them to investigate the allegations being made.
For a downloadable copy of Mark's immigration work, click the image below: