Congressman DeSaulnier’s Statement on Passage of Historic Investment in American Families
Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Mark DeSaulnier (CA-11) issued the following statement upon passage of the Build Back Better Act (H.R. 5376), which passed the U.S. House of Representatives by a vote of 220-to-213.
“Today’s passage of the Build Back Better Act is a victory for families across the country and in Contra Costa. Through its historic investments in early, primary, and secondary education and child care, we are finally ensuring that all children have the opportunity to thrive both in and out of the classroom, no matter where they live or how much their parents earn. From free preschool for three- and four-year-olds to lowering the cost of high-quality child care, this bill would give over 90% of parents with young children the opportunity to reenter the workforce knowing their children are safe, cared for, and learning.
By finally calling on the wealthiest Americans and big corporations to pay their fair share, every provision in this bill is paid for and we are making a statement that our children are our priority. I urge the Senate to pass the Build Back Better Act without delay to deliver this much needed relief to families as quickly as possible. American families are counting on it.”
In addition, Build Back Better would:
- Provide monthly payments of $300 per child under 6 and $250 per child ages 6 to 17 for more than 35 million families under the Child Tax Credit;
- Devote the necessary resources to combat the climate crisis through expanded tax credits for clean energy and programs to drive down pollution;
- Lower the cost of prescription drugs and expanding Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act;
- Bring down costs of long-term care and supporting care workers;
- Expand opportunities for workforce development programs; and
- Create affordable housing.