Ways We Can Help
1. Contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) on your behalf
2. Inquire about the status of your benefit claims and appeals
3. Assist with pay and benefit issues for active and reserve military
4. Provide access to resources for families and dependents
5. Help obtain military records and honors, and cemetery and memorial services
6. Connect active duty personnel with existing resources
California has the nation’s highest number of veterans with nearly 2 million. In Contra Costa County, there are over 55,000 veterans. Our veterans have a special place in our society thanks to their selfless service in defense of our nation, and we must continue to support of our nation’s heroes both on the battlefield and after they return home.
If you need immediate assistance and are experiencing a mental health crisis, please contact the veteran’s crisis line at 1-800-273-8255 (Press 1).
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers services that include:
Education and training
Vocational rehabilitation and employment
Home loan guaranty
Dependent and survivor benefits
Mental health services
- Burial benefits.
Below is a list of information and resources on the following topics:
- CA State Veteran Affairs Office
- How can I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?
- How can I get education benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill?
- How can I get medical benefits?
- How can I get mental health resources?
- How can I get information on suicide prevention?
- How can I get a home loan?
- How can I get life insurance?
- How can I get vocational rehabilitation and employment benefits?
- How can I get survivor benefits?
- What drug benefits are available?
- How can I get a copy of my military records?
- How can I apply for a medal, award, or decoration that I earned while in the service?
- Where can I get more information on federal benefits for veterans?
- Where can I get more information on my state's benefits for veterans?
- Would you like to apply for veterans benefits? Use VONAPP to apply online.
- Would you like to appeal a decision? Find out how at the Board of Veterans Appeals.
The California Department of Veterans Affairs serves veterans and their families. They are the state's leading advocate and resource for veterans. The California department does not provide a lot of services directly, which is the responsibility of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The California Department of Veterans Affairs provides information about:
- Health care
- And more
The Contra Costa County Veterans Service Office provides assistance to the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of America, their dependents and survivors, and the general public, in obtaining benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Department of Defense (DOD), California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet), and other programs for veterans and their families.
10 Douglas Dr.
Martinez, CA 94553
Healthcare Resources for Veterans and Active Duty Personnel
The Veterans Health Administration is the largest integrated health care system in the United States. Their network of health care facilities provides comprehensive care to more than 8 million veterans every year. Visit the Veterans Health Administration website for information on:
- Health benefits
- Health provider locations
- Wellness programs
- And more.
Local Health Care:
The VA Northern California Health Care System
VA Northern California Health Care System (VANCHCS) is an integrated health care delivery system, offering a comprehensive array of medical, surgical, rehabilitative, mental health and extended care to veterans in Northern California. The health system is comprised of a medical center in Sacramento; a rehabilitation and extended care facility in Martinez, and seven outpatient clinics.
The Martinez Outpatient Clinic offers a full range of medical, surgical, mental health, and diagnostic outpatient services, including nuclear medicine, ultrasound, CT and MRI. The Center for Rehabilitation and Extended Care is located adjacent to the outpatient clinic.
150 Muir Road
Martinez, CA 94553
The Oakland Outpatient Clinic, located in downtown Oakland, offers a wide array of medical, surgical, and ancillary health care services, including laboratory, radiology and pharmacy. Medicine services are available in cardiology, dietary, endocrinology, gastroenterology, infectious diseases, neurology, pulmonary, rehabilitative medicine, social work services, women’s health, and urgent care. Surgical subspecialties are available in ENT, gynecology, optometry and ophthalmology, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, podiatry, and general surgery and urology.
2221 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Oakland, CA 94612
The Oakland Behavioral Health Clinic provides a full range of mental health and substance abuse treatment services including, including treatment for drug and alcohol-related dependencies, medication management, methadone maintenance, individual and group therapy. The clinic also manages a Homeless Outreach Program and a Compensated Work Therapy Program.
525 21st St
Oakland, CA 94612
The Mare Island Outpatient Clinic, located in Vallejo, offers a wide range of medical and ancillary services including primary care, neurology, mental health, social work, dentistry, compensation and pension exams, laboratory and pharmacy services. The Sierra Pacific Network Office (VISN 21), Joint Planning Office and Medical Care Cost Finance (MCCF) Office are also located at this facility.
202 Walnut Avenue
Vallejo, CA 94592
Resources for Active Duty Personnel