Gun Violence Prevention
Summary of Position
Recent events, including the shootings in seven states, and the more than 30 gun-related deaths that occur every day in the United States, have led many Americans across our country to direct their attention to this important issue and demand action. Commonsense reforms led by Congressman DeSaulnier would make our families, schools, and communities safer while adhering to the Second Amendment.
By the Numbers
- In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings. This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.
- The U.S. firearm homicide rate is 20 times higher than the combined rates of 22 comparable countries.
- For every person who dies from a gunshot, two others are wounded.
- Americans make up about 4.4% of the global population, but own 42% of the world’s guns.
- Adjusted for population, only Yemen has a higher rate of mass shootings among countries with more than 10 million people.
Things to Know
- Proud recipient of an "F" rating from the NRA
- Member of the Gun Violence Prevention Task Force
- Brought over 800 members of the community together to discuss commonsense efforts to strengthen our gun laws after the Parkland, FL shooting
- Advocating for a Gun Safety Board to research and promote best practices to prevent gun violence nationwide
Working for You
Support Bipartisan Background Checks Bill:
Mark is a supporter of the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act (H.R. 4240), which closes loopholes in current background check laws. A recent poll confirms that 97% of Americans agree that background checks need to be strengthened, and this bill is one of the only gun safety efforts with bipartisan support in the House of Representatives.
Authored Bill to Protect Law Enforcement:
Recent reports of crimes being committed with guns stolen from federal law enforcement officers led to Congressman DeSaulnier introducing the Federal Law Enforcement and Public Protection Act (H.R. 4153), which bolsters requirements for officers to safely store and lock their weapons and requires federal law enforcement agencies to transparently report to appropriate agencies when their guns are lost or stolen.
Promote Smart Guns:
As a continuation of his work in the California state legislature, Mark introduced the Modernizing Firearm Technology Act (H.R. 6080), which promotes the creation of smart gun technology in an effort to decrease the number of tragic accidental shootings and suicides.
Support Bills that Protect Californians:
California has some of the strongest gun laws in the country and as a result has the 9th lowest rate of gun deaths. Congressman DeSaulnier supports efforts to enact some commonsense changes that California has made at the federal level, including the Assault Weapons Ban and a ban on high capacity magazines.
For a downloadable copy of Mark's gun violence work, click the image below: